Friday, May 26, 2006
I actually finished this Hedera sock a couple of weeks ago. It was supposed to be my April socks for the sock-a-month KAL, but now it's my May one. I thought I'd better post this before it became my June socks.Surprisingly, for me, I followed the pattern almost exactly.
The first difference is that I made it knee high. I was hoping that it would stay up, but the yarn isn't springy enough for it to stay up. I didn't do anything special to make it knee high except for repeating the main pattern more times than called for.
When I got past the heel, I was worried about not having enough yarn (and didn't especiallycare for the cushiness of the heel). So I redid it as a plain heel.
Finally,I wanted the main part of the sock to be tighter, and so I did thegusset decreases until there were 21 instead of 29 sts on the sole. (25would have been ok, too.) For the toe, I transferred sts from the topto the sole so that there were the same number of sts on both.
Thesocks are done in Fortissima Colori Disco Socka Color, which is 71%superwash, 26% polyamide, and 3% metalized polyester. It's the firstexpensive sock yarn I've ever used. At least, I consider it expensive.For me, with short legs and narrow feet, it took 2 - 50g balls to makethe socks. To get the colors to match, I did one sock by taking yarnfrom the outside of the ball. I did the other sock on the other ball bytaking yarn from the inside.
If I had it to do over, I would have used smaller needles. (I used size 3 since I hadn't yet bought any size1.) I would have also done the second yo differently. I did both yo's in the pattern by yarning over front to back. If I had it to do over, Iwould have done the second one back to front -- hopefully, to keep the holes approximately the same size.
My other project, other than unpacking boxes and working in the garden, is Tempting II.