I decided I didn't like the waistband or the fit for the skirt. So I started over.
First, to make the waist more substantial: CO a multiple of 4 stitches. Do 6 rnds of *k2,p2*, 1 rnd of p, 2 rnds of *p2,k2*, 1 rnd of *p2tog, yo, k2tog, yo*, 3 rnds of *p2,k2*. Then pick up a loop from each of the CO stitches onto a spare circular needle and ktog 1 st from original needle with 1 loop from spare needle. Finally 1 rnd of p. (There are the same number of stitches on the needle as were originally cast on..) I'm also going to use a knitted cord instead of a crocheted one in the waistband.
Next, to make it roomier (since I'm short). Increase by 8 st evenly around the next rnd -- (All of the top half of the skirt is knit.) Then every 6th row instead of every 7th row make 4 increases. So as not to have all the increases on the sides, I divided the skirt into fourths (with markers to mark the fourths.) On the 6th and 12th rnds, make increases right after the first marker, right before the second, right after the third, and right before the last. On the 18th and 24th rnds, make increases after the 1st st after the first marker, before the 1st st before the second, after the 1st st after the third, and before the 1st st before the last. On the 30th and 36th, after or before the 2nd st, etc.continued here
continued from here